Friday, August 23, 2013

New Concepts Avg. Retention Rate

The first 3 days are in the can. We (the students & I) spent quite a bit of time discussing how we could improve their ability to remember (learn) all the new material we needed to learn this year. 
On the first day, I showed the introductory video "Welcome to the MixsonZone" which went over my syllabus and The Mixson Way (my procedures, etc.).
On the second day, I had the students take out a sheet of paper and list everything they could recall from the previous day's video. Empty stares all around.  I gave them 1 minute. Not much.  Then I let them work in small groups to recall it together.  A little bit better.  Finally, I asked them what it would take to help them remember the info.  They said they wanted to watch it again, take notes, and have time to study it.  So that is what we did.
On the third day, I gave them a quiz.  Much better today. Then they could work as a small group to recall. Even better. 
We wrapped up our lesson with the following statistics called "Average Retention Rate for New Concepts" (from "The Learning Pyramid" National Training Laboratories, Bethel, Maine, Kurt Levin, Founder).


Average Retention Rate for New Concepts:
Lecture                                     5%
Reading                                 10%
Audio-Visual Aids                  20%
Demonstration                       30%
Discussion Groups                50%
Practice by Doing                  75%
Teaching Others/                          
Immediate Use of Learning   90%

We finished it up with the good old idiom, "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink." I can present the material, but the students have to learn it.

No comments:

Post a Comment