Thursday, August 22, 2013

Day 1 of BEST Year (25)!

I just finished DAY 1 of my BEST year of teaching ever!  This begins my 25th year.  I have never been so pumped and excited about teaching. All summer I spent gathering ideas and discovering new technology opportunities for my students.  AVID Training and emphasis on Common Core standards have been simmering along with all this technology. Students will get their Chrome books on Monday, and I am ready to get this party started!
Here is a video I created to explain my syllabus and the Mixson Way.


DAY 1: On the first day of school, I like to take pictures of each of my students.  My mom took pics of us on our first day, and they are precious to me.  The pictures also help me to learn my students names and faces faster (yes, I study them at home!).  
(Silly Boy!!!) 
And have you ever seen such a COLORFUL child?
 (Check out his shoes & socks!):


Another 1st day activity involves 8.5" x 5.5" name cards.  I let the students decorate the cards with things that teach me a little about them.  And, yes, I literally take these cards home every night the first week to study my kids.
In addition, our school is in True Teams, which means all my students have 4 teachers.  We are the Lightning Team.  Jackie Cribb, Christy Myllykangas, Sid Smith and I are leading this pack.  We had all the students join together for a brief meeting 2nd period, and this looks to be a great adventure for all of us!

No comments:

Post a Comment